Ex Students Association Burdwan Medical College

About Alumni BMC

About Us

Ex-students association or Alumni Association is the Association formed by the alumni of the Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan. Any person, who is alumni of Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan and completed at least MBBS from the Institution, can become a member by default. This includes the MBBS interns also.

This is a purely non-profit organization to look after the benefits and interest of the members of the Association. The Governing committee or the executive committee conducts the ‘Annual re-union’ of the members in the College campus or in the town of Burdwan, West Bengal. The other activities of this association are mainly concentrated around helping the sick or needy members as or when required, extend the helping hand to the society.

The association also conducts relevant academic and social programs.

The Executive Committee meetings are held every 1-2 months or earlier in case of pending decisions or special occasions.

 

Today’s Burdwan Medical College was established as ‘Burdwan University Medical College’ by the University of Burdwan in 1969. It was a humble beginning in a hollow brick building (Primary school). Foundation was laid down by the then Honourable Health Minister Late Nani Bhattacharyaa. Later it was taken over by the Government of West Bengal on 4 August 1976, and renamed as Burdwan Medical College. But the College remained as the sole Medical College under the academic jurisdiction of Burdwan University until it was taken up by the West Bengal University of Health Sciences in 2003.

First batch of medical students comprising of 50 students, though joined in 1969, had been shifted to different Medical Colleges of Kolkata due to inadequacy of infrastructure of running MBBS course. The development process was geared up to fulfill the requirements of the medical education. The next batch of students joined in 1970 and remained at Burdwan to complete their MBBS from this brand new Medical Institution of West Bengal. However, it took eight long years for the first batch to complete their MBBS degree from the College. So, the official first batch came out as doctors only in 1978! Their MBBS degree was granted by the MCI was included as recognized Medical qualification. Interestingly, in the later years many of these batches of students sprouted out as great clinicians or academicians and gradually became stalwarts in their fields.

The political unrest in the parts of West Bengal that time was not healthy for the growth and development of the newborn Medical College that time. The students fumed up on protests several times due to the neglects on their studies.

It was a convention in the small town of Burdwan in the 13th July of 1907 where the decision was made to build up a hospital in the Burdwan town. In this respect, the Frazer Hospital was inaugurated in the 9th November of 1910 with 127 indoor beds.

Ronaldshay Medical School was formed on 1921. However, it was closed in 1958 as per the recommendation of the Bhore committee 1947 in the independent India.

Later, the proposal of establishing a Medical College at Burdwan was put. That time the Chief Minister of West Bengal was Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy who agreed to the proposal. People of Burdwan still remembers thank the visionaries like District board chairperson Jitendtranath Mitra, Maharajkumar Abhaychand, Dr. Narottam Samanta, Dr. Sailendranath Mukhopadhyay, Dr. Sailendranath Bhattacharya for development of medical infrastructure in Burdwan.

The Frazer Hospital was renamed to Bijoy Chand Hospital or ‘BC Hospital’ which was named after the ‘Maharajadhiraj’ of Burdwan, Bijoy Chand Mahtab. It remained as the district hospital of Burdwan till it was attached to Burdwan Medical College and renamed as the Burdwan Medical College Hospital. The ‘grand’ century old red coloured building of the BC Hospital is still a part of the present hospital and attracts a sense respect in the minds of the medicos as well as general people

The initially approved beds when it was converted in to a teaching hospital were 759. Gradually, it increased to 1099 number of sanctioned beds at present. The growing need of the people has raised concern in the minds of the administration and further development and setting up of newer units and further expansion work is still under process.

Presently, the Medical College is spread over a sprawling 51 acres of land. The super-speciality wing comprising the Neurology, Nephrology and Cardiology including Cardiothoracic Surgery is now relocated in to a separate building from the main Hospital building.

Besides imparting MBBS course, and Medical post graduations, some Para-Medical courses like Physiotherapy, Nursing, DMLT are run under the auspices of Burdwan Medical College.

Powered By : cStar Web Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

About Us

Ex-students association or Alumni Association is the Association formed by the alumni of the Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan.

Reunion 2024

Contact Us

  • Ex Students Association, Ground Floor, Administrative Building, Beside Central Store, Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan- 713104, West Bengal, India.
  • 7001902433
  • info.alumnibmc@gmail.com
  • Mon - Sat 9.00 - 18.00
Powered By :
cStar Web Solutions Pvt. Ltd.